top of page

your hotel on the Stelvio Pass with historical character

The history of the Berghotel Franzenshöhe on the Stelvio

Thehistory of the hotel Franzenshöhe is clearly involved in the construction of the Stelvio Pass road tied together.

In the years 1820-1825

the engineer built Carlo Donegani the Stelvio Pass road.

The place where the Franzenshöhe stands today is known as "Boedele"  it was used as a wood store for the construction of the road.

Johann Josef Wallnöfer, Karin's great-great-grandfather, establishes the Franzenshöhe in 1871 so that guests can be hosted. After his death, in 1881 his wife Amalia Wallnöfer, postmistress from Prad and mother of 5 children, signed a 10-year lease agreement with the k.k.. Straßenärar for the Franzenshöhe. An exciting time begins for the family...

An era - the Wallnöfer family at the Franzenshöhe

Rough times wars and avalanches

The Franzenshöhe was first destroyed in 1848, during the Austrian Revolution and the Italian Risorgimento Wars. The Rotter, as the street workers were then called, set all the galleries of Stelvio Pass and the building  of Franzenshöhe on fire. A few years later, when the situation calmed down, the Franzenshöhe was restored. Giovanni Donegani the engineer of the Stelvio Pass road, the son of the engineer Carlo Donegani was of the opinion that the place on which the Franzenshöhe stands is far away from any avalanche danger. But he should be proven wrong.

bottom of page